GRAND VIEW MANOR VOLUNTEERS
Volunteers play a very important role in serving our residents at Grand View Manor. Despite our best efforts, it is almost impossible to meet all of our residents needs. Our Recreation Department through Leighanne Tate, Manager of Recreation and Volunteer Services, is responsible for the recruitment, orientation and retention of volunteers.
GVM VOLUNTEER ROLES (for all age groups)
- “Adopt a grandparent” – this can be a class or group project where youth communicate with our residents through letters / pictures / drawings
- Class or group presentation (musical,artistic)– it could be for holidays or special occasions, or a random event that can be coordinated through recreation
- One-on-one visitation (talking,sharing stories or pictures, or playing games) with teacher / group leader / staff supervision
- Supervised one-on-one visitation
- Assist in transporting residents to meals / activities / special events / Sunday Services
- Assist with programs such as bingo, bowling, exercises, towel folding
- Play cards, checkers, scrabble with the residents
- Assist during meals
- One-on-one visitation
- Walks around the manor / outside (weather permitting)
- Assist with activities such as baking, games, exercises, crafts
- Reading to residents
- Playing cards, crib, scrabble, or working on jigsaw puzzles
- Individual / group presentation – music, dance
- Offer computer learning services
- Participate in the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program
- Spend some time with residents who are palliating with no family members
- Assist with fundraising events
The possibilities are endless! We welcome ideas / suggestions from you!
- Please complete the GVM Volunteer Application Form
Contact: Leighanne Tate
Manager of Recreation and Volunteer Services at Grand View Manor
Mail / Drop in: 110A Commercial Street, Berwick, NS, B0P 1E0
Fax: (902) 538-3998
- An interview will be scheduled, references will be checked, and a criminal record check will be requested. Criminal Record Checks issued within three months of your application will be accepted. (For example, your CRC was issued September 1, 2013, it will be accepted if you apply on or before December 1, 2013. If you applied December 2, 2013, we will request a new Criminal Record check.)
- Your name will be included in our volunteer roster once you have completed the above requirements. Welcome to the GVM family!
Note: If you are volunteering as a group (for Sunday services, or occasional participation) the above requirements are waived. Younger volunteers are required to have supervision from their group leaders.
- Personal satisfaction and fulfillment that you are spending some time serving people who need you. You are making a difference!
- GVM can provide a recommendation for future employment prospects based on the strength of your volunteer performance
- We can train you based on the field that you are interested in pursuing (except for regulated work such as direct resident care)
- If you are volunteering for 8 consecutive hours, your dinner or supper will be provided for free
- We hold an annual Volunteer Appreciation Evening to recognize your contribution to the lives of our residents